Heljan – yet more new Cromptons
Very late in 2019 Heljan announced a torrent of new 4mm scale Class 33 models, these being in addition to many new versions which at the time of posting have still to appear (though currently expected by this Spring). This latest announcement is about a new version, namely their updated Class 33/0 tooling with a square high intensity headlight. Promised features for this batch are improved radiator grilles, LED lighting and sprung buffers. Such is the number of separate announcements about these that the below may not be a complete list as there may be more special commissions from retailers I have yet to find out about.
From the regular Heljan range will be:
- 3450 33012 BR blue, weathered.
- 3451 D6515 “Lt Jenny Lewis RN” BR green small yellow warning panel, as preserved.
- 3452 33026 “Seafire” Civil Engineers’ Dutch.
- 3453 33042 RfD construction grey, weathered.
- 3454 33063 freight sector two tone grey, branded Mainline branded.
- 3455 33021 “Eastleigh” Post Office red.
- 3456 33030 EWS maroon/gold.
- 3458 33029 WCRC maroon, weathered.
There are also five “Special Editions” commissioned by specific retailers, though these days such models tend to be sold by other retailers once initial orders slow appreciably.
- From Gaugemaster of Ford, who say they have specifically chosen these models because they remember them passing their warehouse on Brighton – Cardiff trains:
GM4240101 33008 “Eastleigh” full yellow ends, lightly weathered.
GM4240102 33025 “Sultan” BR blue, grey roof, lightly weathered.
- From Locomotion Models at Shildon:
33116/D6535 “Hertfordshire Rail Tours”.
- From Rails of Sheffield:
DRS Minimodal 33025 and 33030 locomotive twin pack.
Colin Duff. Modelling Officer